Ministry of Protection, BEL indicators a contract price 1,00zero rupees for the procurement of a contemporary radio system
The Union’s Ministry of Defense and Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) signed a contract on February 8, 2021 to procure over $ 1,000 billion in Software Defined Radio Tactical (SDR-Tac) developed by DRDO (Software Research Defined Radio Tactical). Rupees.
The Software Defined Radio Tactical (SDR-Tac) was developed and developed by the Defense Electronics Applications Laboratory (DEAL) of DRDO jointly by a consortium of domestic agencies and industry, the BEL, Center for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (CAIR), Weapons and Electronics includes the Systems Engineering Establishment (WESEE) and the Indian Navy.
The modern radio system will add strategic depth to the armed forces, the Defense Ministry said in an official statement. Delivery of the Software Defined Radio Tactical is expected to take place within three years.
BEL is already delivering SDR-Naval Combat (NC) and SDR-Air is currently being evaluated by users. DRDO and BEL mainly plan to give the Indian Armed Forces a safety rating on the latest SDR.
What is SDR: Key Highlights
• •The SDR-Tac is a 4-channel, multi-mode, multi-band, 19-rack-mountable, ship-borne software defined radio system.
• •The system is intended for ship-to-ship, ship-to-air, and ship-to-shore voice and data communications for network-centric operations.
• •The system contains several types of waveforms for narrowband and broadband applications and supports the simultaneous operation of all four channels covering the V / UHF and L-bands.
• •The MANET waveforms are available in UHF and L-band to support the ad hoc network function for network centric operations.
• •The user rating trials for full port phase and sea phase trials were successfully completed from May to June 2018 in Visakhapatnam for all waveforms including V / UHF and L-band MANET waveforms under various network configurations.
• •The interoperability tests were also successfully carried out with all other form factors covering Airborne SDR-AR on board Dornier Aircraft, SDR-Tac on board INS Kirch in sailing mode, SDR Manpack and SDR handheld.
• • Procurement approval was granted following proper assessment of all aspects by the Navy’s user agencies.
The SDRs will be backward compatible with existing Indian radios. They allow the use of common methods of implementing waveforms / applications for different form factors.
They also allow futuristic waveforms to be implemented on the same hardware using software programmability, ensuring longer life and cost savings.
The key factor of SDRs is that their software programmability allows for easy changes to the basic characteristics of the radio such as operating frequencies, bandwidths, modulation types, multiple access schemes and channel coding / decoding methods, source for spreading / de-spreading techniques and encryption / decryption algorithms.
The Department of Defense said the armed forces need a transition from the single-purpose radios of the past to more flexible Software Defined Radios (SDRs) in order to meet most of their wireless communication needs.